08 July 2013

First Month in Medical School: The Transition Stage

Today is July 8, 2013. Almost a month has gone since my first day in medical school. In two days, I will be celebrating my first month as a lifelong learner of medicine and health. I know, it seems silly, but hey, I feel the need to celebrate despite having encountered some difficulties as a medical student.

So, what has happened in the last four weeks? A lot! And a lot of first time experiences, too. Studying medicine is not easy. Nobody said it is easy, right? Surviving in med school starts with changing certain habits and adapting to the rigorous journey of being a doctor. All first year medical students undergo a transition stage. And I'm not an exception. 

  • From pre-law course to medicine
In our class of about 80 aspiring doctors, perhaps I'm the one who has to do a lot of adjustments. Why? Because I'm a non-traditional medical student. I'm already in my mid-20s unlike my other classmates who are obviously younger than me. I have experienced working in government offices and private firms before I decided to pursue medicine as a career and vocation. My pre-med course is actually a pre-lawAnd since I'm from a non-science background, I have to double my efforts to learn the basics of science. Come to think about it, it's a career change and I'm on a detour. 
  • Everyday is an exam day

The first month has been pretty hectic because we have quizzes and/or exams everyday. Yes, everyday is an exam day! I enjoy it. And I hate it. Well, I enjoy hating it.
Everyday is an exam day. It was repeatedly told to us by the faculty, upperclassmen and alumni during our orientation. Everyday is an exam day. Do I have to repeat it? Everyday is an exam day. Whew!
Sure, I love learning but taking exams every single day is mentally draining. I have never experienced this during my undergrad years. I'm not yet used to these everyday tests. When it comes to examinations, the most challenging day I had so far was taking three major exams in one day, all essay-type. And it happened only twice.
But hating those exams won't do me any good, so I have to enjoy them until I graduate. For a start, I have to say... I love exams!
  • Longer study hours and fewer sleeping hours
We have six subjects - biochemistry, gross anatomy, histology & embryology, physiology, family & community medicine, and bioethics & humanities. Just imagine how we divide our time for studying and reviewing.
Aside from the 8am-5pm class lectures from Monday to Friday, I have to devote almost all my free time to study some more. I admit it, I have never studied like this before. But religiously studying is the only way to pass the course. There is no other way. We have to read chapter after chapter of thick medical books. Reading them is not a problem because I love to read. What is really difficult is absorbing the huge volume of information and knowledge we have to squeeze in our brains in a little amount of time. And the next thing we know, it's time to take the tests. Whoaaa!
Because I have to study, I have to sacrifice some of my sleeping time especially for a complex subject like biochemistry. I have been sleep-deprived (read: zombie mode) for a few times just to study at night. And for someone like me who loves sleeping, sleep is difficult to give up. But the good thing is that my mind and body have already adapted to my new schedule. I automatically wake up at 4am even on weekends.
  • Wearing uniform
Honestly, I don't like uniforms. I was in high school the last time I wore a uniform. I didn't wear uniform in college and even at work. So after several years of being free to dress however I like (by the way, I rarely wear shoes when I was in college; I just wear flip flops because those are comfortable), wearing a uniform feels like I'm wearing a costume. Why do we have to a wear uniform anyway? Oh well, a uniform is a uniform. Huh?!?
  • Cadaver dissection
The first day in anatomy laboratory is always memorable for medical students. They say it is a rite of passage for first years. Whether it is a right of passage or not, learning about how our bodies are structured and how each part functions fascinates me. I was surprised that I was a bit excited on the first day of dissection. I didn't feel afraid, but I wasn't able to sleep that night because of my stupid imagination! The only thing that I don't like in anatomy is the smell of formaldehyde because it sticks to our clothes and bodies. So after our classes in the afternoon, when I arrive at home, I take a bath first before doing anything.  
Well, these are just some of my experiences in my first month in medical school. I'm still in this transition stage. Let's see how I will fare in the next few days, weeks, months or years. But for now, I'm taking all these one day at a time. 


4 comments:

  1. great first post! baby steps go a long way. keep it up! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Papat! It's your fault. You nagged me to do this. :D

      Delete
  2. Wow! Well done so far then :) Very interesting to read and hope to see more (though I'm aware that writing blogposts takes up more of your precious time).
    Wait a few weeks and you will not even notice formaldehyde anymore ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth! :) I'm beginning to get used to the smell of formaldehyde. But sometimes the smell is too strong that it even hurts our eyes. :'(

      I plan to write one entry per week. Writing unwinds me, so I don't really mind spending some time doing it. And besides, I don't have to study all the time... it isn't fun. :-)

      Delete