14 July 2013

Our Anatomy Professor Called Me an A**hole for Being Idealistic

I know, you're probably thinking and asking...

What?
You were called an a**hole?!?!?
Why would someone call you that?
Did you do or say something stupid in class?
You've got to be joking!

But it's true, dear friends! I was called an a**hole. It was a memorable first day in anatomy class. I can still vividly remember how the doctor said "A**hole!" and how my classmates laughed when they heard it. 

How many medical students were called that derogatory word by their professors? I bet only a few. Or I could be the only one. Well, I like to think it that way.

But don't worry, I don't have any hard feelings. It was actually funny. Besides, it wasn't directly told to me. It wasn't even addressed to anyone in particular. See? I told you that you need not to worry about me.

Here's what happened:

It was June 17, 2013, Monday morning. Gross anatomy was our first class that day and we only had a course orientation.

In the middle of the doctor's talk, he rhetorically asked, "Why do you want to be a doctor?" for which he answered his own question...

"Because I want to serve humanity...
Because I want to heal the sick and poor people...
Because I want to go to the far-flung areas and cure the sick..."

In my mind, I answered YES, YES, YES to what he said because those were some of my reasons why I want to be a physician. 

Then he said, "A*******hoooooole!" 

Of course, he meant it as a joke. And there was this loud laughter from my classmates. HAHA-HAHAHAHA-HAHA

I, too, smiled, and told myself, OK, fine. Those reasons make me an a**hole?!? So much for being idealistic!

And the doctor continued, "Who are you kidding? You're here because you want to earn big money."

What?!? Am I really hearing this? Yes, he has a point. It's true, but I think money should not be the main reason why one should pursue a career in medicine.

"After going through many hardships and sacrifices, and spending large amount of money for your education, you would do those things?"

Why not, doctor? What is wrong with those reasons? Aren't those valid reasons? Aren't those THE reasons? 

And he talked some more, but I didn't attentively listen because I pondered on what he said.

Anyway, that was my professor's opinion. I don't mind being called an a**hole, whether directly or indirectly, because of my idealism. He has his own reasons and I have mine. To each his own! 

At this point, maybe I'm too idealistic because I want to offer free medical services to the sick poor people when I'm already a doctor. But don't tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. 

I think my reasons and idealism are grounded in reality. I've been involved in volunteer works and medical missions. I've met people who have struggled much in life because they are poor and sick. I, together with my undergraduate group mates, wrote two major research papers about the healthcare system of the Philippines. Moreover, I've seen the facilities, or the lack thereof, of some urban public hospitals and rural health centers.

All these exposed me to the status and needs of the health system of our country. I don't know where it came from but I felt that I need to do something about the situation. It doesn't have to be something tremendous and great. I'm not trying to be a superwoman here. All I want is to be a doctor and do my part in helping to improve the health of the people (especially those who cannot afford or do not have access to medical services, let alone medicines), and the healthcare system of our country. 

Money is not the main driving force why I want to be a doctor. Even if doctors only earn enough to live through each day, I would still choose this path. But don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that I would exclusively dedicate my time in taking care of the health of the poor and other minority groups. I also have to earn to fend for myself and family. I am thinking that while I am working in a public hospital or in the Department of Health, I can commit some of my time in volunteer works and medical missions even in the most rural areas of the country, however far those places are. After all, I think I am really destined to serve the people and the nation.

As long as there is a balance between idealism and realism, things will turn out well. I've seen how it worked before in the lives of some idealistic doctors I've met who became leaders of health and agents of change in the medical field and public health. In their own little ways, they were able to improve the healthcare system in the rural areas where they worked. 

Now, friends, answer me... 

Is it unbelievable if I want to give free medical services to the poor? 
Am I too naive to think that I can do those things? 
What is wrong with what I intend to do in the future? 
Is it bad to be idealistic?
Is altruism dead? 

And for my last question, Am I really an a**hole? *** :p


*** Answer at your own risk. 


2 comments:

  1. Serve the people and the nation! We badly need someone like you, Ate! :) #MUP (Make UP Proud)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Raymond! Right, we're all gonna make UP proud. It's payback time. :-)

    ReplyDelete